Saturday, February 26, 2011

Artful Measuring

Recently, I was admiring my little clock collection......the ones I've found treasure-hunting that I refuse to sell. While I appreciate the gifts of technology, as evidenced by my use of digital photography and the internet, some digital inventions just won't do. Specifically, clocks and watches. I have a radar for a beautiful old timepiece, and my heart skips a beat every time I spy an under-priced one in my junking jaunts. Although their aesthetic appeal is what grabs my attention first, it's the soothing sound of their sweet ticking that lulls me to sleep at night, especially several at once. Makes me feel as though I'm in a clockmaker's atelier in the Old World.

But as I pondered about my timepiece fixation, it occurred to me that my quest is much broader than for just clocks and watches. I realized I have an affection for antique measuring devices in general. Scales, rulers, tape meaures, barometers, etc. I even like compasses, but that's probably just because they look like clocks.


I suspect if I took the time for more introspection, I'd uncover the root of  my jonesin' for all things that measure, but for now, I'll just say it's because it rhymes with treasure. :)   


No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...